International Health & Safety Insurance

Additional information about travel beginning on or before March 1, 2020

Iowa State University has an agreement with an international insurance carrier to provide basic and emergency medical insurance and security evacuation services, emergency travel assistance, and destination-specific safety and security information.

Eligibility and Registration

This plan is for authorized ISU-sponsored travel and is not available for personal international travel. Premiums for plan coverage are centrally funded for faculty, staff, grad students, and postdocs. Enrollment is managed by the Office of Risk Management as part of the international travel registration required for all ISU-sponsored international travel, effective January 1, 2020. Enrollment for study abroad and other sponsored undergraduate travel is managed by the Study Abroad Center. If you have questions about whether your travel is eligible for plan coverage, please contact us.

Coverage extends to dependent children, spouses, and domestic partners of ISU employees or students who are traveling on the same trips. Coverage is not available for employees or students who are traveling solely for personal reasons (e.g., vacations), but does include coverage for up to 14 days of personal deviation during a sponsored trip.

The plan provides coverage worldwide except for the 50 United States and the traveler's home country. It is not intended for use in the United States or to replace current U.S. coverage. The plan does not include trip cancellation coverage.

To obtain insurance for international travel:

  1. If you are an undergraduate student or will be receiving credit for your travel, contact the Study Abroad Center. All other travelers must register or be registered by their department through the International Travel Registration portal.
  2. After registration you will be able to access information related to your coverage within the registration portal including:
    • How to access travel and emergency assistance.
    • How to create an account on the travel assistance portal to locate local providers and country information.

If you require expedited processing for a visa application or trip departing within a week, please call our office at 515-294-7711.

Proof of Insurance:

If you require proof of insurance for a visa application, please contact after completing your registration.

    Program Information

    ISU's insurance policy includes coverage in a variety of areas, including the following:  

    • Medical expenses, up to $500,000. 
    • Medical evacuation expenses, up to 100% of incurred costs. 
    • Repatriation of remains, up to 100% of incurred costs. 
    • Emergency Reunion benefits, up to $10,000, for a family member to travel to you if you are hospitalized for more than 24 hours, or if you are the victim of a felonious assault. 
    • Trip interruption benefits, up to $3,000 if you must return home early due to certain covered events. 
    • 14 days of additional coverage, if you plan to use personal time immediately before or after a sponsored trip.

    Detailed Information

    For customer service, plan information, or to file a claim, contact: Chubb NA at 800-336-0627 (from inside the U.S.) or 302-476-6194 (from outside the U.S.); fax 302-476-7857 for claims or inquiries, or e-mail To file a claim online, visit us at: Mail claims to: Chubb Accident & Health, PO Box 5124, Scranton, PA 18505-0556.

    For Trips Beginning Prior to March 1, 2020

    On March 1, 2020, the university changed to a new insurance provider for international travel. For trips with a start date of travel prior to March 1, 2020, insurance will be provided by Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) for the entire duration of the trip. Travelers who registered trips departing prior to March 1, 2020 received insurance and enrollment documents in an email and should use emergency assistance and claims information provided in those materials. For those trips, use the following information: 

    AXA Assistance:
    Phone (within U.S.): (855) 327-1411
    Phone (outside U.S.): +001 (312) 935-1703 (call collect)
    ISU's Team Assist ID#: 19 GLM N04965085

    Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) information:


    Emergencies Abroad

    Departure prior to March 1, 2020:

    AXA Assistance:
    Outside U.S.: +001 (312) 935-1703 (call collect)
    ISU's Team Assist ID#:
    19 GLM N04965085

    Departure on or after March 1, 2020:

    AXA Assistance:
    Outside U.S.: +001 (630) 694-9764
    ISU's Team Assist ID#:
    GLMN 18154444


    Faculty/Staff/Graduate student enrollment:
    Shaun Jamieson, 515-294-7711

    Study Abroad student enrollment:
    Danette Bontrager, 515-294-6792