International Health & Safety Insurance
Iowa State University has an agreement with an international insurance carrier to provide international travelers basic and emergency medical insurance, security evacuation services, emergency travel assistance, and destination-specific safety and security information.
Eligibility and Registration
This plan is for authorized ISU-sponsored travel and is not available for personal international travel. Premiums for plan coverage are centrally funded for faculty, staff, graduate students, and postdoctoral scholars. Enrollment is managed by the Office of Risk Management (ORM) as part of the international travel registration required for all ISU-sponsored international travel. Enrollment for study abroad and other sponsored undergraduate travel is managed by the Study Abroad Center. If you have questions about whether your travel is eligible for plan coverage, please contact us.
Coverage extends to dependent children, spouses, and domestic partners of ISU employees or students who are traveling on the same trips. Coverage is not available for employees or students who are traveling solely for personal reasons (e.g., vacations), but does include coverage for up to 14 days of personal deviation during a sponsored trip.
The plan provides coverage worldwide except for the 50 United States and the traveler's home country. It is not intended for use in the United States or to replace current U.S. coverage. The plan does not include trip cancellation coverage.
To obtain insurance for international travel:
- If you are an undergraduate student or will be receiving credit for your travel, contact the Study Abroad Center. All other travelers must register or be registered by their department through the International Travel Registration portal.
After registration you will be able to access information related to your coverage within the registration portal, including:
- How to access travel and emergency assistance.
- How to create an account on the travel assistance portal to locate local providers and country information.
For expedited processing for a visa application or trip departing within a week, please call our office at 515-294-7711.
Proof of Insurance:
If you require proof of insurance for a visa application, please contact email@example.com after completing your registration.
ISU's insurance policy includes the following coverage:
- Medical expenses, up to $500,000
- Medical evacuation expenses, up to 100% of incurred costs
- Repatriation of remains, up to 100% of incurred costs
- Emergency Reunion benefits, up to $10,000, for a family member to travel to you if you are hospitalized for more than 24 hours, or if you are the victim of a felonious assault
- Trip interruption benefits, up to $3,000 if you must return home early due to certain covered events
- 14 days of additional coverage, if you plan to use personal time immediately before or after a sponsored trip
Coverage details (PDF)
- Summary of Benefits (Employees & Volunteers)
- Summary of Benefits (Students)
- Travel Assistance Services