Image of white Iowa State University truck with passenger side damage due to auto collision

Insurance services

Risk Management administers commercial insurance and self-insurance programs for the university. We evaluate potential loss and purchase insurance on behalf of departments and units.

Cally Jennett
Insurance and claims manager
Phone: (515) 294-1963

Kellie Smith
Insurance and risk analyst
Phone: (515) 735-2853


Iowa State University is an agency of the state of Iowa and is covered by the Iowa Tort Claims Act for tort liability (wrongful death, personal injury, or property damage). 

Departments or units

Use the Iowa State Certificate of Self-Insurance to prove coverage for contracts, use of facilities or equipment, vehicle rentals, and other circumstances.

Recognized student organizations

Use the Iowa State Certificate of Self-Insurance if your event has been approved through the University Event Authorization System and if an Iowa State employee acting within the scope of their employment will be present.

Outside organizations/third parties/contractors

To request use of university space, outside organizations must complete and submit a Facility Use Agreement with the required COI. Iowa State departments working with outside organizations should review the Three-Tier Risk Assessment for guidance on assessing risk and determining insurance requirements.  

Outside contractors for Iowa State also need proof of insurance in an amount based on the assessed risk of the services provided as stated in their contract.  

University vehicles

The Iowa Regents Motor Vehicle Self-Insurance Program (MVLP) provides comprehensive, collision, and liability coverage for university vehicles. Collision and comprehensive damage claims are subject to a $500 deductible per loss. Liability claims are handled through the Iowa Tort Claims Act process.

Rental vehicles

If you're a university employee traveling for business, we encourage you to rent under the university's agreements with Enterprise and National. The agreements provide discounted rates, unlimited mileage in most cases, and insurance coverage for domestic travel. For coverage to apply, the driver must be:

  •  an Iowa State employee,
  • age 21 or older, and
  • listed as an authorized driver on the rental agreement.

Contact Procurement Services for more information.

If you rent from a different company, use a different contract ID or account number, or rent internationally, you MUST purchase the minimum amount of liability coverage available AND the optional collision damage waiver or loss damage waiver (CDW/LDW). The cost of this insurance is reimbursable as a university travel expense.

Non-university vehicles - excess liability

If there is a loss while you're an authorized university employee using a non-university vehicle for university business and the owner's policy doesn't cover the loss, the MVLP provides excess liability coverage.  

The university will not reimburse an employee, other private owner, or their insurer for any deductible or liability claim paid by their personal auto insurance policy, or for any damage to their vehicle.


Commercial coverage is available for physical damage to a trailer (not contents). Transportation Services must approve use of trailers with university vehicles.

We buy commercial insurance for property owned or leased by the university or loaned to a department or unit. See below for examples of covered property and contact us if you need coverage for an item not shown below.

Building and contents policy

General fund facilities

Protects buildings and contents. For academic/general-funded facilities, a $2,000,000 per-occurrence deductible applies. If there is a catastrophic loss, the deductible will be shared among the departments or units that occupy the property sustaining loss.

Self-supporting, auxiliary operations and facilities

Residence halls, utility systems, Memorial Union, athletic facilities, and other auxiliary operations are covered by a commercial property policy. Optional Business Interruption coverage is available for income loss due to physical damage caused by a covered peril like fire, lightening, theft, explosion, water, wind, hail, etc. Deductibles vary.

Owned or leased equipment

An Inland Marine policy covers university equipment in transit and other moveable owned or leased equipment, including golf carts, ATVs/UTVs, farm equipment, and musical instruments.

Computers and hardware

The electronic data processing (EDP) program covers university computers and peripherals for repair or replacement due to theft, fire, water, accidental damage, etc.

Personal property

Iowa State is not responsible for personal or non-university property kept in university facilities. Loss or damage to personal property is generally the responsibility of the individual.

Claims involving personal property damage or loss are processed as claims against the state of Iowa under the Iowa Tort Claims Act. Contact us for additional information and to request a copy of the State Appeal Board Claim Form and Affidavit.

Employee theft

Iowa State is insured under the state of Iowa's blanket fidelity bond, which covers theft of state property by a state employee. We also maintain an excess crime policy for robbery and theft of money. Departments must pay a deductible.

Theft of university property

Theft of on-campus university property must be immediately reported to the ISU Police non-emergency number at (515) 294-4428. Theft of off-campus university property should be reported to the appropriate local law enforcement agency. Theft of Iowa State property also must be reported within 24 hours using the ISU Incident Portal.