Events at ISU

Student organizations, departments/units, and third party entities who plan to hold events on campus must submit event requests through the University Event Authorization system. This authorization is a collaborative process designed to: 1) improve event planning and coordination, 2) ensure compliance with university policies and procedures, and 3) enhance security and safety of the ISU community and visitors to campus.

Which events require authorization?

Student organizations

Events or activities open to the public and/or students outside of the club's membership


Events or activities open to more just current ISU faculty, staff or students

Third parties (non-ISU organizations)

All events or gatherings on the ISU campus

Events that involve any of the following must be submitted for authorization and may involve additional approvals:

  • Animals*

  • Alcohol service, sampling, or sales*

  • Fireworks, pyrotechnics, sky-tracker lights and laser or flame effect displays*

  • Food giveaways, sales, or service

  • Non-university vendors

  • Raffles or gambling

  • Temporary structures/tents

  • Youth (participants/guests under the age of 18 who are not ISU students)

*Additional required forms for these requests are found below.


For all non-academic activities or events involving the use of live animals on campus, an Animal Use Request must be submitted and approved by the Non-Academic Use of Animals Committee. This request is not for use by academic or research programs, which are subject to approval through the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC).

Animal Use Request


Alcohol service, sampling, or sales (submit at least 30 days before event)

Cash bars require planning several weeks in advance. The caterer must apply for a five-day license through the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division, and must go before an Ames City Council meeting for license approval (second and fourth Tuesdays of each month). The Alcoholic Beverages Division also requests applications 45 days in advance of the event. The only exception is ISU Dining, as they are already appropriately licensed for cash bars on ISU property. 

Please carefully review the following alcohol-related policies before submitting a request: Alcohol Use (Students and Student Organizations) and Alcohol, Drugs, and Other Intoxicants.    

Request for Alcohol Use

Fireworks, pyrotechnics, and flame effects (submit six weeks before the event)

The use of fireworks, pyrotechnics, sky-tracker lights and laser or flame effect displays is prohibited in the city of Ames except when done in accordance with a permit authorized by the City Council. For displays on ISU property, please review the Fireworks, Pyrotechnics, and Flame Effects policy and submit an event request through the University Event Authorization system.




Submit an Event

Food Service at Events

Food/Beverage Vendor Information
Food Sales or Service
SafeFood 101



Student Organization Events:
Memorial Union Student Engagement

Other Events:
Kurt Beyer