We are available to offer consultation and expertise to faculty, staff, and departments currently operating or considering programs or projects abroad.

  • Destination-based risk assessments
  • Long-term strategic risk assessments for international operations
  • Recommendations for global or in-country insurance coverages
  • Cost estimates for insurance and mitigation measures

Contact us to discuss your program or project.

Your international travel may be subject to export control restrictions. Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) prohibit the export of specified technology and related technical information to certain foreign nations and their citizens. Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC) regulations prohibit economic activities with certain listed countries, entities and individuals. Federal law allows the imposition of both civil and criminal sanctions for violations.

Consult with the Office of Research Ethics to find out what export control regulations you may be subject to and how to properly prepare for travel.

Employing individuals in foreign countries or working for extended periods from abroad involves complex regulatory and tax implications. Departments interested in doing this should consult the Office of General Counsel's guidance for work in foreign countries.

Review the following university policies prior to international travel:

Travel - Foreign - Addresses reimbursement of university travel-related expenses incurred while outside the US
Export Controls - Federal law prohibits the export of specified technology and related technical information to foreign nations
International Travel Registration - Defines ISU-Sponsored travel and registration requirements for travel

Pre-expense authorization

Many departments require employees traveling internationally to complete a spend authorization in Workday prior to incurring travel-related expenses. Consult your procurement and expense specialist or the Create Spend Authorization or Cash Advance for Departments job aid.

Restrictions and allowable expenses

Visit the Controller's department Travel Information page for guidance on restrictions and allowable expenses for foreign travel.

Topics include:

  • Incurring expenses in foreign currency with a fluctuating exchange rate
  • Airline restrictions when using federal funds
  • Guidelines for per diem reimbursement (department policies may vary)

Travel & Hospitality Cards

Travel & Hospitality (T&H) credit cards are available through procurement services. T&H cards allow university employees to charge travel expenses directly, rather than request reimbursement after travel. The cards work internationally wherever Visa cards are accepted. Because some destinations may have limited ability to accept credit card payments, plan to use cash as well.