Student Organization Travel

Plan Your Trip or Review Trip Status

Student Organization Driver Training

All student organization members who wish to drive for their student organization travel must take the Student Organization Driver Training before they travel. This driver training is now in Learn@ISU.

Upon successful completion of this course and the online quiz you will be approved to drive all University vehicles for as long as you are an Iowa State student with the exception of 15 passenger vans and towing a trailer. A separate training is required for 15 passenger vans and trailers.

Please note: All student organization drivers must take or retake the general Student Organization Driver Training as of January 2020 regardless of whether they had taken the course before. This is a result of changes to how student organizations will now pick up vehicles for their reservations out of the automated kiosks at Transportation Services.

In order to access vehicles in the kiosks, student organization drivers will need to have a profile in Agile Fleet Commander, a current MVR check, and drivers must have the vehicle confirmation number emailed to their trip coordinator by the Student Organization Travel Authorization System (SOTA) upon their trip's approval. Please see the new driver training video for details.

How to sign up for Student Organization Driver Training
1) Click the link here or go to Learn @ ISU. Log in and click on "Course Catalog." Navigate down to the "Office of Risk Management" folder and expand it. Click "Launch" next to "Transportation Services - Student Organization Driver Policy and Safety Training." You will need to allow pop-ups in your browser for

2) Once you navigate to the course, you must watch the Student Organization Driver Training video, review the appropriate policies and procedures, and complete the online Driver Training quiz.  You must score at least 80% to pass.

3) After you have successfully completed the Student Organization Driver Training Quiz, you are approved to drive all University vehicles for as long as you are an Iowa State student with the exception of 15 passenger vans and towing a trailer, which require additional training.

Travel Policy and Procedures for Student Organizations

The Student Organization Travel Policy and Procedures for Student Organization Use of University Vehicles govern travel for activities or events that are sponsored by a recognized student organization and authorized by Iowa State University. Travel authorization requests must be submitted and approved prior to travel so the university can properly manage liability issues for student organization travel.

Checklist for completing your Student Organization Travel Authorization Request

  • Click "Add a New Trip" above
  • Search the name of your organization. Note: you must search for the name as it exactly appears in the Student Organization database
  • Click on your organzation's name
  • Complete the "General Information" as completely as possible. Click "Submit"
  • Now you are in to the application itself.  Complete all of the fields listed under "Item"
    • Add lodging (if applicable)
    • Add Itinerary information (be as specific as possible!)
    • Submit vehicle request (if applicable) Note: In order to use university vehicles, your organziation's travel must fit within one of the "Eligible Vehicle Use" criteria listed in the Student Organization Travel Procedures
    • Add Participants.  Only members of your organization that have been added to and also confirmed membership in your organization in the Student Organization database will be eligible to be added to the trip.  As you add participants, be sure to mark which are drivers.  Note: at this time members that are under 18 years of age or are not ISU students will need to be added as an "Exception," and receive participant agreement forms to complete via email
  • Upon completion of all "Items," click "Submit Application." You will have a chance to review your trip one final time, and then you must click to submit your trip.

Please note:

  • Participants can be added and removed until the trip is approved by the Office of Risk Management or Recreation Services
  • If the itinerary or general information is changed, all participants and the adviser and treasurer will need to re-approve the trip

Why isn't my trip approved?
Did you submit the application?
Has your adviser and treasurer approved the trip?
Have your drivers completed their Motor Vehicle Request forms online, and have they been approved?
Have your drivers completed the 15-passenger van training (if necessary)?
Have all of your participants been added, and have they all completed their online participant waivers?

How do student organizations receive authorization to travel?

The student organization must designate a member of the travel party to serve as the Trip Coordinator. This person is responsible for submitting information through the Student Organization Travel Authorization (SOTA) system.

Student organization travel must relate to the purpose of the organization and comply with the policies of the Board of Regents, State of Iowa, and Iowa State University. The purpose of student organization travel and transportation to and from the event will be reviewed and authorized by the group's advisor, group's treasurer and the Office of Risk Management or Recreation Services (Sport Clubs) prior to travel.

What if we want to take a university vehicle?

By connecting to the Student Organization Travel Authorization (SOTA) system, you will have the option to link to Vehicle Reservations at ISU Transportation Services. University vehicles are available for use by student organizations, but specific travel policies and procedures apply and must be acknowledged prior to their use.

What if we will be driving our own vehicles?

The same travel authorization process applies. By connecting to the Student Organization Travel Authorization (SOTA) system and completing the general travel information, you will receive an option to link to information regarding use of personally owned vehicles. This link will connect you to policy information and the waiver and release of liability forms. GSB funding allocations can not be used to cover the costs of non-university vehicles used for travel.

What is the timeline for submitting travel plans for authorization?

SEE Student Organization Travel Checklist/Timeline

Trip Coordinator Responsibilities

The student organization must designate a member of the travel party to serve as the Trip Coordinator. The Trip Coordinator is responsible for submitting travel authorization requests through the Student Organization Travel Authorization (SOTA) system for each trip. Trip Coordinators must travel with the organization and act as liaison for their student organization during the approval process and on the trip. The Trip Coordinator should confirm receipt of appropriate travel documents with the staff of either the Office of Risk Management or Recreation Services (Sport Clubs). When necessary, the Trip Coordinator may need to meet with staff to review and evaluate the completed Student Organization Travel Authorization information.

When using a 15-passenger van or a vehicle towing a trailer, the Trip Coordinator must ensure that drivers for the trip have completed Large Passenger Van training. Drivers who need to complete this training must contact Transportation Services and allow for enough time to register for and complete the next available class. These classes are available only through Transportation Services and are usually offered monthly.

University Domestic Interstate Travel Suspended

Effective 3/14/20, university-related non-essential domestic interstate travel is prohibited until further notice.

Follow-up guidance for non-essential domestic travel ban (March 14, 2020)

International university travel has been suspended since March 5.