Liability Coverage

Self-insured Liability Coverage

Iowa Code, Chapter 669
Iowa State University is an agency of the State of Iowa and as such, is self-insured for liability. Claims against the State of Iowa are handled according to provisions in the Iowa Tort Claims Act (Iowa Code, Chapter 669), which also sets forth the procedures by which tort claims may be filed.

Under Chapter 669, claims may be filed against the State on account of wrongful death, personal injury or property damage (including reasonable attorney fees) incurred by reason of the negligence of the University or its employees while acting within the scope of employment.

The State will defend, indemnify and hold the University and its employees harmless against any and all tort claims under the U.S. Constitution, statutes or rules of the United States and/or any other state, but will not cover willful or wanton acts, omissions or malfeasance in office.

Commercial Liability Insurance Coverage

In general, Iowa State University does not purchase commercial liability insurance. As an agency of the State of Iowa, Iowa State University is self-insured for liability. The University and its employees are protected by statutory provisions of the Code of Iowa, Chapter 669 (see above).

The University may purchase liability insurance or participate in self-insured liability pooling or other arrangements for professional liability, motor vehicle liability, or other liability if required by statute, contract, or special circumstance. Purchases must be made through the Office of Risk Management.

While the majority of liability issues for the university are covered under Chapter 669 of the Code of Iowa, unique circumstances may warrant the purchase of commercial liability insurance.
For questions regarding liability insurance and self-insurance programs or requests for proof of insurance, please contact ORM.