International Health Insurance and Emergency Service
Iowa State University has an agreement with an international insurance carrier to provide basic and emergency medical insurance and security evacuation services, emergency travel assistance, and destination-specific safety and security information ("plan").
Eligibility and Registration
This plan is for authorized ISU-sponsored travel and is not available for personal international travel. Premiums for plan coverage are centrally funded (for faculty, staff, grad students, postdocs, etc.), and enrollment is managed the Office of Risk Management as part of the international travel registration required for all ISU-sponsored international travel, effective January 1, 2020. Enrollment for study abroad travel is managed by the Study Abroad Center. If you have questions about whether your travel is eligible for plan coverage, please contact us.
The plan provides coverage worldwide except for the 50 United States and the traveler's home country. It is not intended for use in the United States or to replace current U.S. coverage. The plan does not include trip cancellation coverage.
To obtain insurance for international travel:
- If you are an undergraduate student or will be receiving credit for your travel, contact the Study Abroad Center. All other travelers must register or be registered by their department through the International Travel Registration portal.
- Following travel registration, enrollment will be processed by the Office of Risk Management.
- After enrollment is processed, the traveler will receive an email directly from the insurance carrier with the following:
- An insurance card
- A brochure with claim form
- A consulate letter verifying insurance coverage (if needed for visa purposes)
- Access to the web portal
If you require expedited processing for a visa application or trip departing within a week, please call our office at 515-294-7711.
Instantly access your travel insurance documents, view country-specific travel alerts and personal security assistance information, search medical providers worldwide and more.
- Participant FAQ
- International Insurance 101
- 2019-20 Policy Information (for travel starting March 1, 2019 or later)
- myCISI Participant Portal Overview
- CISI Cheat Sheet
- CISI and AXA Emergency Travel Assistance
After an ISU faculty/staff person has been enrolled in the plan, they can also enroll eligible dependents (spouse/partner/child). Dependent enrollment premiums can be paid with a personal credit card. To enroll, e-mail the completed enrollment form to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the number on your Participant ID Card. Please note that dependent travel dates cannot exceed the ISU faculty/staff member's coverage dates.