International Health Insurance and Emergency Service
ISU International Travel Portal in-person training:
Friday, September 28
Oak Room, Memorial Union
No registration required! See you on Friday!
Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI)
Iowa State University has an agreement with CISI to provide basic and emergency medical insurance and security evacuation services.
This plan is for authorized university business only and is not appropriate for personal international travel. Premiums for CISI coverage are centrally funded (for faculty, staff, grad students, postdocs, etc.) for ISU international business travel; enrollment is strongly encouraged.
CISI is not intended for use in the United States or to replace current U.S. coverage. CISI coverage does not include trip cancellation, trip interruption, or delayed baggage insurance.
To obtain CISI coverage for international travel (other than a study abroad program*):
- The traveler may register themself or be registered by their department through the ISU International Travel portal.
- Following registration for enrollment, the request will be processed by the Office of Risk Management.
- After being processed, the traveler will receive an email directly from CISI with the following:
- An insurance card
- The CISI brochure with claim form
- A consulate letter verifying insurance coverage (if needed for visa purposes)
- Access to the CISI web portal
*Faculty, staff and students on official study abroad programs will be automatically enrolled in CISI by the Study Abroad Center and do not need to enroll through AccessPlus or the new ISU Travel portal.
Please see the short video below for for training on how to enroll in the ISU International Travel Portal:
Note: on October 1, 2018 the legacy method for registering travel for CISI coverage through AccessPlus will be closed.
myCISI Mobile App for participants
Instantly access your travel insurance documents, view country-specific travel alerts and personal security assistance information, search medical providers worldwide and much more!
CISI program information
- CISI Participant FAQ
- International Insurance 101
- 2018-19 CISI Policy Information (for programs starting March 1, 2018 or later)
- myCISI Participant Portal Overview
- CISI Cheat Sheet
- CISI Emergency Travel Assistance
Enrollment of ISU Faculty or Staff Dependents
After an ISU faculty/staff person has been enrolled in CISI, she/he can also enroll eligible dependents (spouse/partner/child).
Costs for spouse, child, or significant other can be paid with a personal credit card.
To enroll, e-mail a PDF version of the ENROLLMENT FORM to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that dependent travel dates cannot exceed the ISU faculty/staff member's coverage dates.
If you have questions that are not covered in the FAQs above OR if you have trouble enrolling, please contact email@example.com.
|Study Abroad / Student Enrollments
(including study abroad program leaders)
|Faculty/Staff Access+ Enrollments
(not including study abroad program leaders)
|Study Abroad Center
Attn: Danette Bontrager
6563 Memorial Union
Ames, IA 50011-1130
Office of Risk Management