International Health Insurance and Emergency Service

Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI)

Iowa State University has an agreement with CISI to provide basic and emergency medical insurance and security evacuation services.

This plan is for authorized university business only and is not appropriate for personal international travel.  Premiums for CISI coverage are centrally funded for ISU faculty and staff on ISU international business travel; enrollment is strongly encouraged

CISI is not intended for use in the United States or to replace current U.S. coverage. CISI coverage does not include trip cancellation, trip interruption, or delayed baggage insurance.

To obtain CISI coverage for international travel (other than a study abroad program*):

  1. The traveler's departmental verifier must register travel through the University's requisitioning (Web Req) system in AccessPlus.
  2. Following registration for enrollment, the request will be routed to the departmental approver for review.
  3. Upon departmental approval, the traveler will receive an email directly from CISI with the following:
    • An insurance card
    • The CISI brochure with claim form
    • A consulate letter verifying insurance coverage (if needed for visa purposes)
    • Access to the CISI web portal

*Faculty, staff and students on official study abroad programs will be automatically enrolled in CISI by the Study Abroad Center and do not need to enroll through AccessPlus.

Departmental Verifiers, see: Web Requisition Verifier Process

myCISI Mobile App for participants 

Instantly access your travel insurance documents, view country-specific travel alerts and personal security assistance information, search medical providers worldwide and much more!

CISI program information


Enrollment of ISU Faculty or Staff Dependents

After an ISU faculty/staff person has been enrolled in CISI, she/he can also enroll eligible dependents (spouse/partner/child). 
Costs for spouse, child, or significant other can be paid with a personal credit card. 
To enroll, e-mail a PDF version of the ENROLLMENT FORM to  
Please note that dependent travel dates cannot exceed the ISU faculty/staff member's coverage dates.  

If you have questions that are not covered in the FAQs above OR if you have trouble enrolling, please contact  


Study Abroad / Student Enrollments
(including study abroad program leaders)
Faculty/Staff Access+ Enrollments
(not including study abroad program leaders)
Study Abroad Center
Attn: Danette Bontrager
3224 Memorial Union
Ames, IA 50011-1130
515-294-7724 fax
Office of Risk Management
Attn: Dawn Hitsman
1700 ASB
Ames, IA 50011-3618