Request for Alcohol Use

Please complete the form below to request approval to have alcohol sales or service at an event at Iowa State University.

Before you complete the form, please review the Alcohol, Drugs, and Other Intoxicants University Policy at

Please keep in mind that “cash bars” require 3+ weeks advanced planning as there are many steps involved in the process.  Cash bars require the caterer apply for a 5 day license through the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division and also the caterer must go before an Ames City Council meeting for license approval (2nd and 4th Tuesdays of each month only).  If you are using ISU Dining as your “cash bar” caterer, the 5 day license is not required.  ISU Dining is already appropriately licensed to service cash bars on ISU property.

Cash Bar (guests pay for their drinks) or Hosted Bar (guests pay NOTHING to attend, including no charges to guests for their meal or drinks)
Per ISU’s Alcohol, Drugs, and Other Intoxicants policy (linked above), the following requirements must be upheld for an event including alcohol service: 1) The facility or building area involved is not open to the general public during the time of the event or access to the area is managed and restricted to the invited participants. 2) The audience is a specifically invited group with the majority of the participants being of legal drinking age. 3) The event is being held outside of normal office or business hours. 4) Individuals and/or bartenders involved in serving alcohol must have completed the training for intervention procedures by servers of alcohol or the techniques for effective alcohol management programs offered by the Iowa State Center, ISU Dining, the National Restaurant Association, or other recognized training sponsor. 5) Non-alcoholic beverages will also be served along with appropriate food. 6) Events involving alcohol should be ones where the participants are not primarily from the undergraduate student body.