Request for Alcohol Use

Please complete the form below to request approval to have alcohol sales or service at an event at Iowa State University. You must submit this request at least 30 days before the start of your event.

Before you complete the form, please review the Alcohol, Drugs, and Other Intoxicants University Policy at

Please keep in mind that “cash bars” require 3+ weeks advanced planning as there are many steps involved in the process.  Cash bars require the caterer apply for a 5 day license through the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division, and the caterer must go before an Ames City Council meeting for license approval (2nd and 4th Tuesdays of each month only).  The Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division requests you apply 45 days in advance of your event so that they can process the license in time. If you are using ISU Dining as your “cash bar” caterer, the 5 day license is not required.  ISU Dining is already appropriately licensed to service cash bars on ISU property.

Because the majority of the undergraduate student body is not of legal drinking age, events involving alcohol should be ones where the participants are not primarily from the undergraduate student body.


Submit a new Request for Alcohol Use